Monday 31 March 2014

Day 203: Radiotherapy starts

I followed through with my resolution from yesterday and got to the gym at 7.15a. I did 45 mins of biking (4k), weights and some stretching. It was a starter program that I hope to build upon in the coming weeks and months.

Ii went to the Medicare office at Bridgepoint in Mosman on my way to the hospital. I got back over $400 in recent appointment outlays which wasn't bad for the 20 minute detour.

I arrived at the radiation oncology rooms at 11.35a. I was worried about my 5 minute tardiness until  25 minutes more had passed. Good thing I had my iPad mini to catch up on the news. There are 2 radiotherapy machines and I will be having all of my treatments on the one called "Minerva". I got in at noon, and Sam and Kathy got me lined up on the table. They explained that the beams would be modulated as my doctor had prescribed to different areas of my treatment (which, btw, is my entire left breast).  They put a layer of "green jelly", which was wrapped in plastic, on my chest and strapped it in place. They explained what would happen, told me to lie still and then left the room. As they had described, the machine rotated over my chest and made all sorts of noises. There were no lights and I didn't feel a thing. They came back in 10 minutes later, I got up and dressed and we rescheduled one of my appointments in the school holidays.

I then had to wait to chat with the nurse, which tool about 10 mins. The chat, in which she told me about the possible side effects (skin turning pink like a burn and tiredness) and how to manage them (sorbolene and sleep), took all of 5-10 mins.  I drove away from hospital 1h15m after arriving. That's not the quick 20 mins I had in mind. I can see this quickly becoming a hassle, but I won't complain because it is much easier than chemo.

I had a quick lunch with Hiraani and Sue on my way to Remie's reading groups. The kids and I had a quiet afternoon before heading out to 4 Pines for dinner, courtesy of a voucher passed on by Jonesy. I enjoyed the "beer flight" that was included, though the alcohol just added to my exhaustion. It's lights out at 8.40p for me after dealing with poor Remie having another night terror. Will write tomorrow about the follow up conversation I had with Rebecca, the psychiatrist we saw Saturday last. I don't have the energy for it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment