Monday 24 March 2014

Day 196: A hair study (or chemo hair loss with cold cap)

As today was a particularly uninteresting day aside from Remie's night terror that just occurred at 8.30p, I thought I'd do a bit of documenting on the evolution of my hair over the past 5 1/2 months.

Thanks to Kirrily (who suggested the concept) and Daryl (who executed the concept), I have a pre-surgery and treatment reference point.  This photo was part of a series of family pictures we did after Spring school holidays.

5th October 2013
The next hair-related image is from my decision to have my eyebrows tattooed in anticipation of losing them.  It was frightfully painful and expensive, and I looked like Cleopatra for at least a week after.  I definitely had a unique image at Nick's work holiday party 2 days later.  I can happily say, despite all that, that I am so very pleased at this stage that I did it.
6th November 2013
Now on to what happened in chemo.  The Mater offers a cold-cap option, which enables patients the possibility of retaining some of their hair.  What it entails is wearing a cap that pumps freezing cold gel over the scalp for the duration of the treatment, plus 30 minutes prior and 30 minutes post.  There's no guarantee it works, and about half of the women who try it still end up losing enough hair to warrant shaving.  I was initially not sold on the additional time and pain involved (it's bloody cold!), but Dr. Fran convinced me to try it by telling me that it helps with re-growth.  I did lose quite a lot of hair after my first round of FEC (26 Nov), but it was nothing like it would've been if I hadn't done the cap: it would have all been gone.

First cold cap: 26th November 2013
11th December 2013
After my second round of the FEC (17 Dec), I lost a bit more, but I could easily get away with no one really knowing what I was going through unless I mentioned it.  Most of my loss was in a band where a headband would sit, which was rather convenient.
Out with hubby: 23rd December 2013
25th December 2014
Experimenting with a scarf headband: 3rd January 2014
Covering the thinning band: 3rd January 2014
After my third round of FEC (7 Jan),  I lost enough hair to start to feel that I needed some sort of covering when I went out in public, but I was told that my loss wasn't immediately noticeable without any covering.
The start of wearing hats: 15th January 2014
Without head cover and with new glasses: 20th January 2014
With the passage of time, my remaining hair began to return to it's normal colour - I didn't know that I was so dark/grey!  After round 4 of docetaxel (28 Jan), I found myself with noticeable hair loss, but I was able to cover it up easily and still look normal.
The "chemo comb-over" isn't cutting it anymore: 7 February 2014
7th February 2014

Go the Alice band: 10th February
10th February 2014
Front: 10th February 2014
After round 5 of docetaxel (18 Feb), I had a bit more loss which, combined with the further return to natural colour, meant a wider band. My fringe/bangs and hair on the back of my head remained fairly normal.  It is the texture of fairy floss/cotton candy as it's gotten quite thin.

My "eclectic aunt" look: 17th February 2014

24 February 2014
Day of final chemo: 11 March 2014

11 March 2014
11 March 2014
11 March 2014
After my 6th and final round (11 Mar), my hair is not much worse than the last round.  Ok, so the colour is disasterous, and a band around the middle is missing, but it's still great for a scarf headband or a hat.
One week post-final treatment: 17th March 2014
17 March 2014
17 March 2014
17 March 2014

17 March 2014
Here I am a nearly 2 weeks after my last round of chemo in my "naked in public" shot for breast cancer awareness.  I don't know if you can see the lack of eyelashes, but I can sure feel them.  My hair loss is no worse - it's just wet.
22 March 2014
I'm looking forward to my first cut and colour in 4 weeks.  I do hope my hairdresser can work miracles.


  


3 comments:

  1. You certainly rock the Crazy Aunt look! This is a great piece and helps demystify the struggle with chemo hair loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is really inspiring. Not a lot of people would really be able to sense what it is like and how it is like to rub against the edicts of nature, such as hair loss, and the various sickness and symptoms that might activate it. At the very least, one must learn to carry his/her own weight, so that he/she can move back and finish their goals in life. Thanks for sharing that! I wish you all the best!

    Byron Brewer @ Knight and Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hair loss is one of the dreaded side effects of chemotherapy, aesthetic-wise. It can be heartbreaking to see it falling. But I love how you handled the situation. You even found ways to incorporate your accessories to make it unnoticeable. How's your hair now, btw? I hope everything is going well with you, from your treatment to your hair’s health.

    Collene Puterbaugh @ Baja Hair Center

    ReplyDelete