Wednesday 19 March 2014

Day 191: To test or not to test

That is the question when it comes to the genetic testing that I've discussed with both Dr. Susan and Dr. Fran. One of my mother's sisters died of ovarian cancer in her early 40s, but other than that there's no history of breast cancer in my family. I lean towards being in possession of more information as it means I, and my sister and daughter and cousins and their daughters, can make educated choices.  This information comes at a real price as well: the initial consult is $490 (I didn't yet ask about the subsequent blood tests or analysis)!

I booked an appointment for 1st April and am fairly sure I'll go ahead with it. As my long lost kindy friend, Dawn, (who has gone through breast cancer twice), put it today in our email exchange, it's "for Remie's sake".

No comments:

Post a Comment