Friday 28 March 2014

Day 200: Prep for next phase

Nothing much has changed today. I still have cankles (and can't remember where I put my compression socks), my eyes are watering slightly less and I am starting to get some inkling of taste. The recovery process is slow, but at least it's recovery.

I got some aloe Vera at the health food shop today in preparation for Monday's start of radiotherapy. I also have my iPad mini ready to go with some books for the wait and Podcasts and audio books for the drive. I'm looking forward to BBC world news and NPR.

I can feel that I'm getting near the end of the invasive and time-consuming part of treatment. In 40 days radiotherapy will be over. Then I'll go on Tamoxifen, an estrogen-blocking drug, for 5 years. At least that's just a daily pill, though it does come with some unpleasant side effects like menopausal symptoms. There will be at least one final surgery to replace my expander with a proper implant, but that's not for quite a few months. I have time to decide whether I fight to get the other breast removed.

For now I'll just focus on recovering and getting back into some regular exercise. That's enough, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment