Tuesday 11 March 2014

Day 183: Round 6. The end of chemo. And it's been half a year.

Half a year ago today (6 months from this past Sunday) I received my devastating diagnosis. To mark the occasion, I had my 6th and FINAL round of chemo. Perfect.

After picking up Sue in Errol and getting through the 50 minutes to dive 10km, we got to my 9a appointment with Dr. Fran. I requested a renewal on my Stillnox script and a copy of my blood work results (mild anaemia and moderate lymphopenia) then filled her in on my experiences of the past 3 weeks. She said that I'm likely to see improvements in my eyes and sense of taste in the next 3-6 weeks. The eyes will take longer as the tear cells don't grow back as quickly.

She wrote me a referral for genetic testing in light of the fact that my aunt died of ovarian cancer (yes, this does have implications for the kids, but that's not to worry about just yet). I asked about having my ovaries out as a precaution and she said I could do that without doing genetic testing. Generally, if someone tests positive, doctors would like to have the ovaries removed in one's early 40s. Oops, missed that.

Dr. Fran briefed me on next steps, which include a bone density scan (scheduled for 6th May) and an appointment with her (scheduled for 16th May) to follow up and sort out my Tamoxifen (estrogen-blocking daily pill that I'll take for the next 5 years).

When all that was over, just before 10a, Sue and I headed across to chemo cottage for the last time. I even got the chair from my first round as closure (there are 4 in the room and I've been in 3). The lovely Angela popped on my cold cap for the last time. While doing so she said that I have new hair growing already. How exciting! She also ran through the meds I was supposed to have taken and gave me the Telfast I'd forgotten and managed to get a cannula in with a slight struggle (which meant poor Swoops suffered more strangulation). I sat for the requisite 30 minutes until the cap got cold enough for the Docetaxel drip to start, which meant sucking on ice chips (to prevent mouth sores) and sliding my hands into the dreaded freezing mitts (to prevent nail loss), for the last time. At least it was all over in about an hour. Then I had to wait another 30 minutes for the cap to warm up. Thankfully I had the company of Sue, Ruth and Mandy. The conversation made the time fly. Claire, one of the Breastcare nurses, popped in for a quick hello, which was lovely.

Nurse Angela pleased to be finished inserting the cannula.


The awful ice mittens.


We were outfor the last time by 12.30p and Sue and I headed off to a fabulous lunch at Burnt Orange in Mosman to celebrate. We picked up her kids from school in the convertible which made them happy. I then went and picked up mine and Emma so they didn't have to walk the hill.

The afternoon was quiet as I caught up on stuff and Emma looked after the kids and dinner, plus did Remie's shower and books while Alex and Nick went to Cubs. After a quick dinner with Nick I'm off to bed, having been awake since 4a. I anticipate a fairly good day tomorrow then a steady decline. I'm writing off the next 2 weeks and sticking to my stay-out-of-hospital plan of avoiding crowds and anyone who isn't well. A bit limiting but well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment