Tuesday 4 March 2014

Day 176: Keep going

I'm having a moment of feeling like I'm climbing Mt. Shasta 12 years ago. We woke up in the dark at 1am and set out up the snow field, one foot in front of the other. I'd use my headlamp to fight an object to use as a goal, then do it again. It was a bit like that at the beginning of my diagnoses. When the sun rose, the mountain looked different, but I could see how high it was and how far there was to go.  Once we got up and started heading down, I didn't want to stop for fear that if I did I wouldn't start again (the poor guys on my rope).

I feel like I'm on the downward climb now. I'm tired and sore, but I don't want to stop to think about it  in case I dwell too much on it and don't get going again. I can see the tent at the bottom but it's still a ways away yet. Tomorrow, when I meet with Dr. Susan, my radiation oncologist, I will know how far away the tent is.

My eyes were runny and sore this morning. The cleared up a bit after more steroid eye drops, just in time for a coffee with Alison and yoga.  I found I was more energetic than last week but still opted out of a few things at the end of the one hour class.

Emma was back to pick up the kids and do afternoon duties. It was great to have some help, and she said she's around until my mum arrives in 5 weeks. That's a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment