Tuesday 1 April 2014

Day 204: Radio delays and genetic testing counselling

The day started with taking Remie down to the beach at 6.50a to watch the sunrise. The weather was predicted to be perfect and we set the clocks back this coming Saturday, so it was the ideal day. I'd been hoping to be organised enough to go out to brekkie then straight to French at 8a, but with the 3.30a wake up from Remie I was sower than usual. The sunrise and time out were spectacular and well worth the effort.

I went to the pool after drop off and did 500m without fins then 500 with. I didn't think I could get any slower but I managed it today. I had to stop after every 100m to catch my breath. I'm blaming that on my anaemia and not on my lack of fitness.

I didn't call ahead for radio and when I arrived there was a sign up saying that Minerva was running 20 minutes late. My time in the machine was a bit quicker today, but all up I was in the radiation oncology rooms for 55 minutes. So much for quick appointments.

I went to do a bit of retail therapy at Chatswood to kill the time before my 3p genetic testing counselling appointment  at the SAN hospital in Wahroonga.  A visit to Myer and Zara sorted me out, then I grabbed some sushi.

While I thought I'd left myself lots of time to get to the SAN given I'd never been there before (Remie did her sleep study there), I arrived on time. Dr. Hilda, a genetic oncologist, spent 45 minutes with me discussing genetics, family and risks. My big reason for being there was that my mum's sister died of ovarian cancer at 42. Coupled with my breast cancer, there is a chance that genetics may be involved. Based on our discussion, however, it's not very likely. I could choose to have my ovaries removed and/or a right prophylactic (preventative) mastectomy without testing.  At a cost of $1,650, the testing isn't cheap (she did say it was about $5k in the US).  I'm on the fence now as to whether to do it or not. It might mean something for Remie, but I could always do it later as there is no imperative. Ahh, the choices life gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment