Tuesday 22 April 2014

Day 225: Back at it

No sooner had I walked into radiation oncology for my 1.30p appointment than my name was called; I hadn't even swiped my "check in" card. It was really quiet, which made sense after I overheard one of the radiotherapists mentioning at Apollo, the other machine, was down. I was out of the machine in 15 minutes, but was then told I needed to hang around for a mid-term scan. About half way through the course of treatment a scan is done to make sure nothing had changed regarding internal dimensions (e.g. Weight loss or gain) as radiotherapy is so very precise (I want them to know exactly where my heart and lungs are so the beams stay clear of them).  All was fine and I was headed home in 45 minutes.

Other than that,an aborted eye exam for Alex and me which turned into grocery shipping, and a trip to the local park for my mum and the kids, we hung around the house. There was washing to do and I was too tied to do much after being awake with Remie for about an hour and a half in the night. The kids did perform a little circus for mum and me which was very entertaining.

I did talk to one of the Breastcare nurses who told me to:
- keep my nails covered for 3 months,
- expect that my eyelashes will take quite awhile to grow back,
- spray a mix of salt and water on my "burned" areas to take away the sting, and
- look to the 3 month post-chemo mark as a time when most side effects will diminish (eyes and eyelashes take the longest)

I am definitely hanging in day-by-day at the moment. I am too tired to do most of what I'd like to, which is frustrating. I am looking forward to feeling better in 2-3weeks, but I am also cognisant that life is short so I am trying to appreciate every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment