Sunday 20 April 2014

Day 224: Easter weekend in Canberra

Canberra is the capital of Australia. It's like DC but it's not. There are lots of wonderful museums and the city is layed out in a very orderly fashion. It doesn't, however, have the same energy as DC. It's a bit of a ghost town, aside from the tourist attractions.  The city centre was buzzing the dat before Easter, but the rest of the city seemed very quiet. Given all that, it's been a perfect spot for our 3- generation little break.

We've seen Questacon, the kids' science museum, the War Memorial, the Inca exhibit at the National Gallery and the Canberra Glassworks plus have been on a few bike rides around Lake Burley Griffin. The kids enjoyed an Easter egg hunt at our hotel and the attention of all 3 of their grandparents.

I had a few rest periods (one for about 2 hours on Friday afternoon when I was exhausted) and quiet nights in our apartment once the kids had gone to sleep and the grandparents plus Nick hung out next door in their apartment. I was happy for the quiet time as I get so tired by the end of the day.

It was great to have a change of scenery. It was a bit of work coordinating everyone's preferences. I realised I definitely don't have a level of energy I am used to. It made me question a US adventure and made me think planning and the option to opt out will be key.

No comments:

Post a Comment