Monday 7 April 2014

Day 210: Breaking the bank

When Mum and I arrived at the radiation suite, I asked how late Minerva was running and was told not long. Shortly after, I was called into a very small room by a woman with "administration in her title to "have a talk". You guessed it: she needed to run me through the costs for my treatment. She first told me that they invoice weekly in arrears on Wednesdays (I missed last week as we hadn't had this talk). She then asked me if I had my Medicare Safety Net in place (I do) as the cost of the first week usually pushes a person over the safety net. Finally she came to the estimated cost for the 5 weeks of treatment: $20,000 (it could be more depending on the number of scans etc.). Medicare will cover about $15-16k leaving me out-of-pocket for $4-5,000. Private health won't cover it as I am not an in-patient. Wow.

Mum and I had a nice lunch in Stocklands on the way home and picked up a few things for dinner. I did reading groups with Remie's class while Mum stayed home to prep dinner.

After school, Alex enjoyed playing with the Lego H passed on as part of their pre-move toy cull. Remie had a massive meltdown when she tried to do her news homework. Even Mum had enough of her behaviour. She pulled herself together after dinner and sorted herself out for bath and getting dressed. She is quite the conundrum and is exhausting.

I am tired and would be even without the treatment, I think.  My broken sleep doesn't help - blasted menopause. I am so looking forward to getting some energy back.

No comments:

Post a Comment