Sunday 27 April 2014

Day 230: Weekend of relaxing

I said goodbye to my mum and nicked away for the weekend with my family, so I took the weekend off writing.

On Friday morning we all packed: Mum for her return home and us for our weekend in Wombatra, just over an hour south and about 45 minutes past the airport. It was Anzac Day, so Alex wanted to March with Cubs in the parade to the memorial ceremony at 11a. Nick accompanied him and we girls went to watch. It was my first time attending a service in the 15 or so opportunities I've had. We dashed when the rain started.

We got mum checked in and organised some transfer help for her at SFO. Then we all had lunch before saying goodbye. I was sad to watch her walk to Customs, even though we'll see her in a few months. It all seemed a bit easier with her here and it was so great to have her company and support.

By mid-afternoon we arrived at the little beach cottage we rented. It sat on the cliff above Wombarra reef (and the "mermaid pool" we discovered a few years ago while on holiday with Sandy and Mig). We spent our time over the next few days between playing at the reef and nearby beach and hanging around the house reading, talking or playing games. It was just the slowing down that we all needed.

With only 10 more days until the end of the parts of treatment that focus on killing fast-growing cells that are dividing, I am feeling ok. I have a worsening "burn" on my chest, with the skin by by left collarbone actually peeling. The night "wrap" seems to help with the overall area; it's clear that I'll need to put some heavy duty cream on the peeling area in addition to the aloe and sorbolene. I'm told that my skin will get worse the week following my final treatment, so I figure I'm in skin-preservation mode for another few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment