Tuesday 31 December 2013

Day 113: Happy new year!

It's nearly 9p on New Year's Eve. Families are lined up along the Manly harbour foreshore to see the early fireworks that are due to start shortly. Remie is asleep upstairs and I am enjoying not fighting the crowds. Now, 8 minutes later, I have just seen the spectacular fireworks display over the entire harbour on TV (and for those who are wondering, the design on the bridge was some sort of Reg Mombassa (from Mambo fame) robotic/lunar face (from what I can tell). This morning I woke up to the news that a very good college friend has recently been diagnosed with lymphoma. It rocked my world. It's bad enough that this stuff has happened to me; it's not supposed to happen to good friends whom I love. I know she will be fine. But I'm sad she has to go through the fear of the unknown. And I don't like being on the other side of the world and not being able to help. I'm thinking that "other side" theme that I experienced at the end of 2013 is likely to continue in 2014. By that I mean my perspective of being on "the other side": of receiving, not giving, meals on Meal Train; of not having the energy to rally; of covering up and thinking the sun is too bright (during my week post-chemo) and of not trying too hard on the social scene. It seems to be a bit of a gift to learn to see things from a different perspective and learn to appreciate how hard some people have it. Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2014 in which we all strive to find the good bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment