Sunday 15 December 2013

Day 96: Not quite up

Walking down to town to meet some friends for dinner last night in a too-short dress and high wedges for me (I was trying hard not to look like i have a disease, I think), I turned to Nick and said, "My hip squeaks, I hurt my thumb, my hair is falling out in handfuls and I go in for another round of chemo in 3 day; I don't think this is my finest hour."  I have to confess to bring a bit daunted by the reality of it all at the moment.

My hair came out massively in the shower today. More came out when I ran my prescribed wide-tooth comb through it. Bummer. I have stopped taking my vitamins and other naturopathic boosters as I am supposed to do 2 days before treatment. There is one more yellow link on our countdown chain before the stretch of 7 blacks.

I did have a very uplifting girls' pre-chemo champagne (replaced by sangria today) lunch. The dozen or so ladies were fabulous as there was much laughter. I had a good giggle when Kayleen told me that her daughter, who is in Remie's Kindy class, told her big sister that they have to look after Remie as her mum is sick with asthma (delivered in a very serious tone).  Listening may not always be a kindergartener's strength (tee hee).

I have had many people comment, email and send Facebook messages in response to my posts since I started.  I've been told that it's amazing to see what it's actually like on this side, and heard others tell me it's like I am there talking to them, making the distance seem smaller. I am so very, very thankful for all of you who are following along and "listening" to me share my view of this experience. Your presence and feedback strengthens me. I just went back to the quote Deb sent me when I had my meltdown in hospital: "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow".  Its like you all are here with me. Your support is invaluable to me as the marathon-like nature of this journey stretches before me.  Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment