Friday 6 December 2013

Day 87: Life threatening?

I bumped into Sam in Coles, the grocery store across from school, just before pick up. She's been having some health issues so I asked her how she was. She told me that she's on some meds and is expected to be back to normal in 6-12 months. I sympathised with her plight and wished her well. "I'll be fine," she said.  "It's nothing like what you're going through. Mine is not life-threatening."

I hadn't thought of my journey like that since the very beginning. I don't actually feel like I am in a life-threatening condition, but I guess that's what it is. Based on breast cancer stages (2-3), I have from a 72-93% 5-year survival rate, according to the American Cancer Society. It makes me wonder what the average 5-year "life expectation6" rate is for a healthy 47 year old woman living in a first world country is. Hmmm.  As Kate said tonight at dinner, it's not worth getting bogged down by it. I think I'll just keep living me day at a time and enjoying g what I can.

Susan came for Alex's yoga session this morning. They had a ball. I had a lovely walk along the beach with Kylie and a great massage with Renee. I popped into our 2 local bike shops and found a few suitable options for Remie for a geared bike. Emma and the kids put up the tree (but it still needs to be fully decorated). And Kate came over to share a lovely night. What's not to be thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment