Friday 13 December 2013

Day 94: Shedding hair

It's Friday the 13th. Spooky. My hair is starting to come out.  Spooky. I've heard it starts with a tender scalp. Tick. And then it starts coming out in handfuls. Tick (albeit small handfuls so far). Apparently it starts to happen around the second chemo cycle when one is cold capping.  Tick. And if one can persevere through the second cycle without shaving it will be clear whether the cold cap is working. Time will tell....

Today Nick and I met with my radiation oncologist, Dr. Susan.  She is very intense. She recapped for us her version of what had happened and where we were. All good. She ran through the role of radiotherapy in the process of preventing recurrence. We learned a few new things. She ran lots of statistics by us, which s the first time to date this has happened. She was clear that the choice is mine.  I immediately signed up ad I had already decided to bring on all the big guns in this fight. She mentioned the possibility of genetic testing since one of my maternal aunts had ovarian cancer. I signed up for that, too, if it was recommended by all my doctors.

Off to sleep hoping I don't wake up with too much hair on my pillow. The reality is definitely harder to digest than the prospect.

No comments:

Post a Comment