Saturday 7 December 2013

Day 88: "Shearing is caring"

About 5 years ago one of Alex's BFFs told us all in the playground that "sharing is caring".  I thought it was such a good phrase that I've adapted it to today's events.

Back in October, Sue invited the "triathlon families" around for an early dinner on 7th December, which seemed somfarvaway.  As the girls have thrown in the towel this season in support, we decided we could have a few drinks. Once I got my head around my treatment regimen and the possible hair loss that was due at this point (10 days after my first treatment), I thought it might be a great time to have Jono shave my head. We girls discussed it and mentioned it to the boys (big and not-so-big) to prepare them.

As this past week unfurled, I realised that's wasn't ready to shave as I still have all my hair. The 7 and 9 year olds, however, were keen.

We had a few drinks and a swim, and then Jono quickly set up shop. Hugh, who'd been counting down the days, was first. He was stoked! Billy was next, and Fred stepped up as a dark horse. Alex was then convinced, so he sat down.  The leaf blower came out to clean up, which was fully entertaining.

We then sorted dinner for the kids, and the next thing I saw when I looked over the balcony to "Chez Jono" was Owen in the chair.  I got choked up and had a cry with the girls. When I finished, Nick was in the chair! I am so unbelievably overwhelmed by this support that all I can do is hug the team. I will feel so very much braver when it is my turn thanks to the love and support of my friends.

The sheared 7, plus me.

The first 4, followed by...

The big boys (plus one last little one)


No comments:

Post a Comment