Thursday 18 September 2014

Day 374: New measurements

After drop off, I caught up with Gail for a walk. She listened to me go on about my lymphoedema and was wonderfully compassionate. We talked fear, energy levels and how to live life in a meaningful way when you've been given the cancer wake-up call. It was comforting to be with someone else who is in the same boat.

At the hospital, I had a brief but very useful chat with Lena, another Manly woman (who is friends of one of my friends) who is dealing with this same condition. We were discussing reconstruction, and she reminded me I could just do implants now and wait a few years to consider a tissue reconstruction.

My first session was hydro, so I did my exercises and rode around on the noodle in the 33C water. Not a bad way to spend 30 minutes.

Andrea was my physio, and she put me straight under the laser for my side and forearm. Then she did my measurement for my garments.  Even after intensive treatment, the sleeve prescribed last month is too small. She rang the garment rep and left a voice mail explaining the situation and asking for a pricing concession. She'll let me know.

Dr. Mackie came to check on me. I thanked her and we talked about the empowerment that I've gotten out of my time.  I talked with Andrea's boss on the way out and said I am happy to be a case study as my experience has been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment