Monday 8 September 2014

Day 364: First day at the lymphoedema clinic

I woke up to sunshine (and a grumpy Remie who was cross at having gone to bed before 7p last night) and headed off in Errol the Eoas with the top down just after 7.30a for my 9.10a check in. The drive took 1hr 10 mins so I even had time for a coffee.

Day patient check in consisted of all sorts of papers to sign, but it was quick. I headed across to the rehab building and checked in to the lymphoedema clinic just as my physio, Sarah, was arriving. We went down the hall into a treatment room and began filling out forms. She did my L-Dex (unchanged from 3 1/2 weeks ago, meaning the excess fluid is still in my arm) and took measurements of both arms (my left is about 2cm/1inch bigger than my right at the moment).  We then went down the hall to another treatment room where she used a hospital-grade laser on my arm to soften the fibrotic area in my forearm (the area where the tissue has started to turn hard). Finally, she bandaged my arm, which is apparently the best way to encourage reduction in size.

While I was left in the room with the laser going to work and me wearing glasses, I decided that this whole condition really needs a copywriter. Words like "lymph", "oedema", "garments" and "fibrosis" are not at all palatable. I really see room for improvement in the language if any real fundraising is to be done.

My second session was woke Luke, an exercise physio. He filled out a few forms then talked me through the theory behind exercise and lymphoedema. The good news is that it is encouraged as muscle movement helps the lymphatic system push the fluid out. Repetitive movements like boxing) are to be avoided, as is intense exercise, as both of these contribute to the increase of fluid (via increased blood flow) in the body. Heat is also a known contributor to increased fluid, so exercise in air con is recommended. All of this impacts my lifestyle, so I have to see what happens.

I zipped home, grabbed lunch and managed to get to Remie's class for reading groups. The afternoon held lots of help from Alex with dinner and laundry. Remie even packed the dishwasher after dinner. Nick checked the warning light that was on in Errol, so now I'm all set to do it again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment