Wednesday 3 September 2014

Day 359: Calm

This is the second day in a row that Remie has not screamed at me.  I am so much less tense. I can imagine that parenting might not always feel like a battle if both children were usually not belligerent. I shall simply hold out hope that this is the start of a new beginning.

Alex received an award at assembly today "for always giving 100% to everything he does". That is gold. As another parent said, it's better than an Oscar. He was very pleased.

I popped into Nadia's on my way to see the counsellor at the school the kids will go to next year. She helped me get clear on my request for help for Remie in her upcoming school transition given all the uncertainties of the past year.

Wendy, the counsellor, was easy to talk with. She clearly has a wrath of experience and is interested in helping Remie. We have planned for Remie to go talk to her at the start of next term, with the aim of having subsequent discussions prior to the end of the school year. This will ideally give Remie a consistent person outside of home with whom to discuss her concerns.

I'm also thinking she'll have a few sessions, ideally regular (but not for 2.5 more weeks) with Rebecca, whom she's seem before and who has specific experience with families dealing with cancer. We'll go tomorrow back to Robin as well.  I figure Remie will decide who she feels comfortable with.

I feel like things are generally a bit calmer today. Perhaps I am, as someone suggested, undergoing a bit of a post-treatment transformation, bit by bit, and one of the tough phases is slowly passing. Perhaps I'm slowly accepting my new challenges and fighting it all a bit less. Perhaps it's the absence of seeing a doctor or getting treatment for the whole week so far. In any case, it's a much more pleasant state to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment