Tuesday 18 February 2014

Day 162: Round 5. Only 1 more to go!

Today's treatment was a big milestone as it means I only have one more to go. That means that if it all goes according to schedule, I will say au revoir to the  lovely nurses at chemo cottage (AKA The Patricia Ritchie Cancer Centre) .

After dropping the kids at before-school French at 8a, Justin and I went to pick up Sue. We enjoyed the T3 lane to the Spit Junction in Mosman, where we dropped Justin to catch a bus to Taronga Zoo (I figured he should have some sight-seeing time while I did the boring hospital bit).

We then continued on to the Mater for my 9a appointment with Dr. Fran, who was 30 minutes late. She first asked about the chicken pox and, after I told her the story of Toby ringing me and suggesting I get in touch with her, explained how she had Dr. Ben, who is her Fellow, do the research to determine if they needed to do anything. I asked her why Dr. Karen hadn't suggested that I get in touch with my them. Apparently the type of chemo I'm having, and what it does to my lymphocyte count, was the driver. If I had been on the FEC treatment of my first 3 rounds I wouldn't have needed the booster. That's why Karen didn't immediately get me to contact Dr. Fran. Lucky me.

After hearing about my list of side effects, Dr. Fran told me I was doing well and suggested some ways to better manage them (take anti-thrush med regularly from today, alternate Panadol and Nurofen for bone pain). She agreed that my goal should be to try to stay out of hospital and sent me on my way.

The start at chemo cottage was a bit slow, but it all went without a hitch.  Deb popped by for a visit and Sue and I watched a bit of "The Hunger Games".  I did get very cold from having to use the ice mitts and suck ice chips while the black-bagged docetaxel was infused. After the 4th blanket, was offered the electric blanket. Bliss. I know was to ask for next time. The whole ordeal took a bit more than 2 hours.

We picked up Justin at the zoo and went to have a lovely lunch at Bather's Cafe. Then it was home to rest before Chris picked me up at 5,15p for the school's Parent Info Night. I had Remie's Year 1 at 5.30p and Alex's Year 4 at 6.30p.  I went as Alex and Nick were running the Cubs' biking night.

I'm so relieved another treatment day is finished. I'm writing off the next week and then hoping the one after is easier without having to deal with chicken pox as a solo parent. Fingers crossed Alex doesn't get it and nothing unforeseen trips me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment