Monday 3 February 2014

Day 147: Dreaded mouth issues

I have come crashing down to Earth today. I've been swanning along through this chemo treatment, keeping lots of my hair and managing all the side effects so far. I've been so proud of myself for dodging the bullet. 

Today has been different. Much harder. It started with feeling very winded on my little walk up the Fairy Bower hill this morning on the way home from a short and flat 6.15a walk with Kate. I mean really???  It's just a little walk, for God's sake, not a marathon or even a 10k or even a run!!

Then I terrified my family by sticking out my tongue at them: it was covered in white fuzz. It felt like the inside of my mouth was covered in moss. Thankfully I did the same thing to Lucy, my nurse friend, at school. She sent me to the pharmacist to see if he could help. When I told him I'd just finished chemo round 4, had 2 more to go and stuck my tongue out at him, he took pity on me and quietly handed me Fungalin, a prescription-only medicine to treat thrush. I'll be sure to send my business his way going forward, as I have in the past. 

As my mouth is yucky, I can't taste anything so am making myself eat and drink. The avocado and bocconcini in my lunch salad had the right texture.  The sunflower seeds did not.  It's very strange to get no gratification out of the taste of food. Perhaps I'll go gaunt after all. 

The afternoon saw me break out in cold sores on my bottom lip. Gross. I'm tired and achey and ready for this whole treatment ordeal to be over. Pity the menopause that it's put me in is likely to continue. I'm open to any good news anyone has to share (besides the Seahawks win). 

No comments:

Post a Comment