Wednesday 26 February 2014

Day 170: Getting help and becoming an Aussie

After my post about Remie 2 days ago, Emma reached out (from across the Spit Bridge) to tell me how sad she was for us and how she thought the 22nd of March was too long to wait (and I agree). She mobilised her women's' network and found me someone who could see us more quickly.

I had a wonderful talk today with Sonya, who runs a psychology consultation focused on children. As the mother of an autistic child, she understands what it's like to know there's a problem but not know how to explain it or solve it. She empathised about Remie's behaviour and suggested that she is likely scared and confused, watching me be physically and emotionally vulnerable, and doesn't know what that means for her. She expresses her fears by lashing out, which is totally in sync with her personality. I'm going to see one of her team, Karen, next Wednesday., to get some strategies to help us and the whole family.

Today's exciting news is that I finally became an Australian citizen, after arriving here nearly 17 years ago. I was given my certificate and tree at this afternoon's ceremony at the local council offices (town hall). I gave the "new citizen's vote of thanks" speech as I had been asked, wearing a head scarf to cover my now very obviously balding crown and sides, thinking that there was no way I could have imagined this whole situation when I first moved here. We celebrated with a quick dinner at Manly Wharf Hotel (aka the local pub) with Chris, Pete and Macie as Chris received her citizenship too. And now, at 9.30p, it's well past my bedtime.
Outside Manly Council chambers with my citizenship certificate, flag and koala signed by my family


Family with Mayor Jean Hay

No comments:

Post a Comment