Friday 7 February 2014

Day 151: Life gets hard

It's 1.30p and I am sitting in a consultation room at chemo cottage at The Mater waiting for a nurse to give me an immunoglobulin injection to help protect me from a recurrence of the chicken pox. The nurse told me that it's going to hurt as its a thick injection. I didn't need to know that.

I'm here thanks to Toby, a doctor friend who works in pediatric oncology. He read my blog yesterday about Remie's chicken pox and called last night to suggest I contact my oncology team after explaining what he would do if one of his patient on active treatment were exposed to this virus. I rang Dr. Fran's office at 9a this morning and was told I should be ok. 3 hours later I got a call from Dr. Tim who works with Dr. Fran telling me exactly what Toby had told me last night and could I please get to chemo cottage by 4p. He also warned me that there is a one in one million chance that I could contract AIDS or Hepatitis as this is a plasma injection. I didn't need to know that.

This is following a night of being awake with Remie from 1.30-4.30a. I am shattered. So is she. Her chicken pox have started to burst. She is itchy and tired of being at home. But we are trying to be brave. She is with Rosalie's father at the moment as I couldn't bring her here. They were going to have an ice block and take down the Christmas lights out front. Sue was ready to abandon her cousins who are visiting from Queensland. I am thankful for the support of friends as this is feeling like a very challenging and lonely time with Nick away.


No comments:

Post a Comment