Thursday 21 November 2013

Day 72: Carpe diem and dolphins

We headed out after brekkie for a bike ride along the peaceful bike path with Shoal Bay as our alleged destination. We made it there just fine but had to put the enticement of a stop at a bakery on the way home as an added enticement. I really wanted to climb Tomatee Head and see the gorgeous view east and south, but Nick suggested that the walk and the return ride might be too much for Remie. Rain on my parade.

After raising Remie's bike seat ("Wow, this is so much better"), we had a great ride to the marina, found some scones and a playground and made the unplanned decision (who, me?) to take the ferry across Port Stephens to Tea Gardens for lunch to take advantage of the soon-to-deteriorate weather. The ride was lovely, and we found a great little spot for lunch where the entertainment consisted of  two pelicans that swam alongside the dock waiting for food. The kids thought that was great. 

We were all standing at the bow on the return ferry ride when I looked over the side and spotted a dolphin (I have to say I was really hoping we'd see one). Well, it wasn't just one but at least three and they rode the bow wave for about 20 minutes, jumping out of the water every so often. It was spectacular!  Although I am not superstitious or religious, I remember reading that dolphins are special creatures and harbingers of good things.  With only a few days to go I'm happy to take anything I can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment