Tuesday 12 November 2013

Day 63: Reconstruction options and models

I woke up this morning feeling very tired again, all my own doing. Nick and I were fortunate enough last night to partake in the generosity of friends who had organised a degustation dinner in the wine cellar of the Royal Sydney Yacht Club.  Ruth and Trent were fabulous hosts and the night was a rollicking event (I do hope Daryl didn't get lost on his walk home) fuelled by matching wines to the 7 courses.

The highlight of today was week 3 in the Mater's Early Breast Cancer Seminar Series on the topic of surgery and reconstruction. Plastic and reconstructive surgeon Dr Andrew P spoke on autologous (using one's own tissue) options for reconstruction. I learned that I could have a tummy tuck and use the fat to rebuild my breast without having to lose my tummy muscle in the process. If one doesn't ave enough tummy fat, tissue from the upper thigh/lower buttock fold an be used instead. And, if that fails, the lat muscle can be removed and recruited into the breast. Fascinating.

After the presentation, 6 woman modelled their chosen options, giving us a better picture of the possible results. They were at different points in their recoveries, ranging from 10 weeks to 3 years. The same procedure could have different outcomes based on body shape. Again, fascinating.

I'm still thinking of sticking with an implant and a lift on the remaining side. I would consider massive surgery if I'd had a double mastectomy but am happy to keep it minimal given my lopsidedness. Plus, I am holding out the hope of running without a jog bra and wearing halter neck tops. As with all of this, I'd be happy to revisit my decision if my situation were to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment