Monday 4 November 2013

Day 55: The web of women

I was getting ready to head to the gym at 7.15a after a bit of a lie-in when the doorbell rang. I opened it to find 2 packages. The first one Alex and I opened was from my Aunt Rita, my mum's youngest sister, with whom I haven't been in contact for well over 10 years. She sent me a beautiful "magic lap quilt" with special healing powers. I was so touched I cried.

The second was from my former neighbour and dear friend Laura who is now living back in the UK. In addition to sending two jars of traditional English sweets for the kids, she sourced a framed picture that says: "When life gives you lemons, grab tequila & salt".  I laughed and felt very supported.

The morning was rushed but quieted down after school drop off. Nick and I snuck away for a coffee to catch up before he left for Singapore this afternoon (did I mention that he finally made it back from the US yesterday morning after missing his flight and subsequently Alex's Cubs camp). He's trying to fit as much in as possible before I start chemo on the 26th. Bless him.

I then caught up with a woman I vaguely know from the gym. Gail finished her chemo 3 weeks ago and was happy to share and answer questions. She looked fabulous and had gone though chemo relatively easily. She was very positive, sharing practical tips and suggestions as well her experience. As we were wrapping up, the woman at the table leaned over to tell us she is a breast cancer survivor and wish us all the best for our respective next steps. Lovely.

I got home and booked an appointment to look for a wig, left a message for a woman re: eyebrow and eyelash tattoos and looked into the "Look good, feel better" program.  All I need to do now is get a few head covers.

I then  opened the little packages my mum sent via Nick. Not only did she send the practical items for mouth care (my dad suffered mouth issues when he went through chemo 8 years ago), she sent a breast cancer bracelet with a note telling me that I should wear it to my treatment and it will be like she is there holding my hand. I smiled and just wished I could give her a hug.

The day ended with Kylie dropping by with dinner. Seeing her smiling face made me happy.

I am yet again amazed at and thankful for this web of women who are helping to hold me up. I feel very lucky and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment