Wednesday 2 October 2013

Day 17 (Friday 27 September): "That's unlucky, Mum, but it could be worse"


I took Alex out past the airport to the driving range to hit a bucket of balls while Remie had some quiet time and Nick did some work. We were the only ones there so the instructor gave Alex a great little lesson and off we went. We have lots of room for improvement but had a great time. 

On the ride back I used Alex's favourite phrase, telling him that I'd been a bit unlucky as, from the tests that were done on my booby, the doctors found a lump in it that shouldn't be there. I explained that I was going into hospital (the same one i went to for my hip replacement) the week he goes back to school so the doctors can take it out. I also explained that they are going to take the whole breast off to try to make sure they get it all. He was quiet for a moment, processing. "We'll, at least you know that hospital. And you probably won't be as sore as you were with your hip because it's only your booby."  Another pause. "That's unlucky, Mum, but it could be worse. [My friend's mum] had to get both of hers off. But she's fine now."  Bless his soul. I'm so very sad he has to go on this journey with me, but I know I have a great travelling companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment