Wednesday 30 October 2013

Day 50: Exercise

As we were heading out the door to take Remie to her tennis lesson, one of the physiotherapists at The Mater who deal with lymphoedema, returned my message from yesterday.  I had contacted them as I thought I ought to get some post-op guidance, especially given that I had an axillary clearance (24 lymph nodes removed).  She asked how she could help, so I asked her what I should not be doing in terms of exercise as I was in my gym gear planning to do something more strenuous than walking. She told me to stay away from upper body weights for the next few weeks as well as chest exercises until my expander is fully inflated. She told me to take it easy and remember that I had major surgery 3 weeks ago (I didn't tell her that it wasn't as major as my hip replacement where there were power tools in the operating theatre). That's pretty straight forward and relatively easy to follow. Looks like Crossfit is out for awhile.

Phil, who owns the gym that I go to and creates daily training plans, wrote me a perfect little return-to-fitness board focused on lower body and my friend the spin bike. I had an excellent work out. It was not one of my most hard core efforts, but it was good to get back into it and take another step towards getting stronger and regaining flexibility. I do so hope to be able to continue this during treatment as it is as good for my mind as it is for my body. Fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment