Monday 21 October 2013

Day 41 (Monday 21 October): Reality

I just snapped at my father-in-law. He and my mother-in-law have been here since the day after I my surgery "holding down the fort". They have cooked and cleaned, looked after the kids and did projects around the house bin short they have been phenomenally helpful and we are lucky to have their support.

The end of dinner discussion moved to FIL's 70th next April and the possible party. I said with regret that I was likely to still be in treatment given the 6 cycles  of chemo at 3 week intervals followed by 6 weeks of daily radiotherapy, all starting roughly 4 weeks from now. He joked and told me to tell the person organising it that it would have to wait: a bit of a laugh in the normal world. I snapped, saying i didnt want to talk about it right now. He apologised Sincerely. I am sorry I reacted badly, but this is my reality.

I had lunch today with a friend I haven't seen in over a year. Our kindergarteners,were at the same pre-school and did ballet together for awhile. I learned from a mutual friend that K is on the same path I am travelling, just 2 weeks ahead of me - plus we both are seeing the same surgeon. Bizarre small world. We exchanged stories, hada laugh, talked details and pledged to try to sync our chemo schedules and stay in contact.

It was very strange to meet with someone I know who is going through this. I've considered it my cross to bear and I think I may now have an idea as to how others are taking in my news.

No comments:

Post a Comment