Friday 18 October 2013

Day 38:(Friday 18 October): Uplifting

I had my post-op appointment with Dr. Andrew today.  Rebecca took me in and started the discussion. As she read through my pathology and got to the actual surgery and positive read on my sentinel lymph node, she summed up our experience by saying that "I threw them curve balls at every step".  Have I not said that it is all about one's perspective?!

I essentially learned nothing much new about my treatment in terms of the practical details. I did get a bit more information on why I need chemo (lymphatic invasion, type 2 and 3 tumours, my youthful age) and radiotherapy (breast was filled with both DCIS and invasive cancer, some close to the skin, so it's a bit of insurance). I will need radio on the glands at the base of my neck, it sounds like, as it seems my breast drained that way as well. Go figure.

I asked Rebecca why they didn't given a stage rating to my cancer (generallynused for prognosis and treatment). After asking me if I really wanted one, she said they need additional tests that my medical oncologist was likely to order, so she wrote them (bone and full body). Apparently the 2 tests will take all day; I am quickly starting to understand why people have said that they are so sorry I have to go through this.

I have an appointment with Dr. Fran, my medical oncologist, next Wednesday morning, in which I suspect we'll discuss dates, frequency and cocktail for my chemo. (I'm angling for 18th Nov start to be ok for the kids' dance concerts and then for Xmas). I

I am healing well and everything looks good. The most surprising part of my appoitment was an "inflation": Dr. Andrew filled a syringe with 60ml of saline and injected it into my expander and my boob got 60ml bigger. Now the new one sits up high and is getting perky while the old one hangs low and is definitely droopy. Bizarre. 

Finally, the convertible inspection was a bit of a bust as Nick says it'll need lots of repairs so I should spend $10k more to get something more reliable and I'd rather spend that money on a holiday/girls' weekend. I'm sure this is a continuing saga...

1 comment:

  1. Love reading ur updates nanc. One step closer to done every day! Fran Boyle is an awesome choice ;) x

    ReplyDelete