Wednesday 9 October 2013

Day 30 (Thursday 10 October 5p): Recovering

Dr. Andrew came in this morning at about 9a on his rounds. After updating him on my pain level and nausea, I asked about the axillary dissection. He confirmed that my sentinel node was "dodgy" so he took out approximately 12-15 more (no wonder my arm is sore!). We should get the pathology back in a week, at which time we will have a clearer picture as to what the situation really is. We discussed the likely next step which seems to be chemo for 4-6 sessions (one every three weeks). More words I was hoping not to hear. I'm just going to keep preparing myself for the worst and hoping for the best as that is how this journey seems to be starting.

He did, however, tell me that my expander has 200ml in it already so I'm not totally flat. Good news.

 I'm approaching 24 hours post-op and am feeling well enough to be over all the tubes and wires. I had a big lunch (after not being able to keep brekkie down) followed by a lovely shower a few hours ago and am wearing my own PJs. Thanks to Chris, Sue, Deb and Fred for the visits. You cheered me up. And Nick was just amazing all day helping me get organised and moving.  little snooze I just had has improved my energy and I am surrounded by gorgeous flowers (thank you to all their senders) so things are looking rosier.

The medical stats at the moment go like this:
BP  110/63 (woohoo! My dizziness is gone)
I still have a drip (fluids and antibiotic)
I still have my PCA  even without it I don't have too much pain
I have 2 drains from my left armpit where the lymph nodes were removed
I'm still in the sexy white compression stockings

I had a visit today from Lynn, one of the Breastcare nurses. She showed me the exercises I need to do for my left arm, explained more about my drains, advised me on how to avoid lymphoedema, and gave me some info on chemo (including wigs and scarves) and a special bra that will hold my temporary "pin cushion" prosthetic breast. She was lovely and very helpful. I'm starting to understand what I was told about entering into an amazingly supportive community.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the operation was successful (although a BIG FAT BOOO about your sentinel nodes lady). I've been thinking of you loads (sending over lots of love and positive vibes) and reading your blog religiously. Always just up the road if you want to vent (or to offload those gorgeous kids of yours for a little break over the next few months).

    Look after yourself honey (I hope you have Game of Thrones with you)

    Selina xx

    ReplyDelete