Tuesday 25 November 2014

Day 448: Healthy overall

Mel checked my fasting blood test result this morning and it  was perfectly normal at 4.1. Woohoo, no diabetes.

I had my quarterly check up with Dr. Fran this morning and all is good. Dr. Ben and I talked about lymphoedema (he mentioned that his physio is keen on laser for lymphoedema treatment and that I can purchase one myself), my recent surgery (I won't need any yearly tests going forward as I don't have anymore breast tissue; I'll only have exams), my talk with Dr. Rod about a possible oopherectomy (I said I wasn't going to do anything for about 6 months) and general treatment for oestrogen-fed cancer. There's a possibility that my ovaries are currently dormant after chemo and that my periods could return. If so, then removing my ovaries could have a greater impact on my menopause symptoms, but there's no guarantee.  There is an option to take a drug called Zoladex, which would mimic complete ovarian shut down. It costs about $330/ monthly injection.

We discussed possible metastasis (likely organs are liver, kidney and lung - and brain) and timeframe (oestogen-fed cancer like mine has a low-level recurrence rate but this stays fairly steady over time as opposed to dropping off like triple negative cancer).

When Dr. Fran came in she said that lymph node transplant and other more "progressive" treatments for lymphoedma were progressing exponentially so it'd be great to wait a few years.

I went from there to the breast care nurse to have a look at my mastectomy swelling and weeping. Michi was happy so I was happy.

I had a great catch up with Prue and missed a called from the school. Poor Alex waited in the sick bay for over an hour for me to get him. He complained of a sore head and tummy but seemed in good spirits. It was a quiet afternoon which made everyone happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment