Tuesday 18 November 2014

Day 440: Peer support volunteering

I was awake early after not sleeping particularly well. I got moving and helped get the kids ready for Nick to take them to school. After a bit of admin, I headed to hospital for my final meeting of my first breast cancer seminar as a peer support volunteer. Today's topic was "Life after treatment" and we had a good session discussing fear, worries and experiences amongst the 8 of us (5 currently undergoing treatment). It reminded me of how uniquely isolating this journey is when it comes to the post-treatment adjustment to one's body's fallibility and what that means for making the most of the finite number of days left.

I popped into Redlands, where the kids will go to school next year, to drop off Remie's library books and pick up some info regarding Alex's activities. It was lovely to be greeted by so many familiar and warm faces.

I spent the afternoon on a lounge chair out back, talking to Mum and reading. I did indeed get some rest.

When Rosalie and the kids got home, Remie was very upset. I ast with her for a bit and coerced her into the bath, which calmed her down. We spent time reading this evening while the boys were at Cubs, which is always really nice. It was a great way to spend part of my limited time left.

No comments:

Post a Comment