Friday 14 November 2014

Day 436: Recovering nicely

I had a typical first night post-op: lots of checking in and waking up. I made a deal with my night nurse that if I didn't use my PCA he wouldn't come check on me every hour. I got 4.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, which I thought was pretty good. He woke me about 6.15a to do checks and turned the "spotlight" over my bed on. When I protested, he called me a diva. I held on to my retort as I didn't think picking a fight with the nurse was a good idea. When he got uppity about my low blood pressure (89/48), I suggested he use the manual machine. When he wasn't happy with that, he finally looked at my chart to see the reduced parameters. Sheesh. He then did a finger prick test for my glucose level and all was fine.

After brekkie and FaceTime calls with Mum, Sandra and Joe, then Sue then Maegan, I got in the shower. Nick arrived just in time to hold my 3 drains - lucky him. Claire, the breast care nurse, dropped in to check on me and remind me to take it easy. Nick and I signed Alex up for next year's school sport and sorted a few other things before Ruth arrived with a yummy veggie juice. She and I had a quick walk after Nick headed to work then settled into the guest lounge where Ilona then Chris joined us. After they headed out and I had lunch, Deb popped in with another refreshing juice as it was 37 degrees out.  I was thankful to be in air conditioning for once.

I managed some rest when Deb left before Nick came in on his way home. He stayed for my dinner then went to put the kids to bed. The kids and Rosalie got Skype working so we had a good catch up.

My arm is still more swollen than before surgery, but it has come down quite a bit since yesterday.  I can't properly manage my massage due to the pain so I suppose I'm just going to have to wait.

Now I'm sitting out in the "Healing Garden" appreciating some fresh air. I think I'll read a bit and try to get to sleep early.

No comments:

Post a Comment