Wednesday 13 August 2014

Day 338: Making peace with my flipper

I'm at 36 hours of bandaging and all is ok. It doesn't hurt and I'm getting by fine with the discomfort and figuring out how to do things one-handed.

Showering was entertaining as I wrapped my arm in glad wrap, then realised I needed help with bottles of shampoo etc. Alex was my saviour (the glad wrap was his idea). Bless.

A coffee with Sara before the kids' class skit at assembly helped my headspace, as did a brief pop in to see Mel. I am thinking more positively about the long-term outcome and putting the time that treatment may take into the perspective of many years.

Catching up with Roz and Deb for lunch was wonderful; I always feel positive after time with them. I did manage to break a glass with what Justin has called my "flipper", but that was it.when I complained about how hard it is to wash my hand, Roz said, "Makes you think about how people with no arms get along".  I don't feel sorry for myself anymore.

The kids are being really helpful. We'll get through this. Nick's home tomorrow (though then away again next week) so I'll have some help. Now I just have to figure out what to wear over the bulk of the bandage to keep me warm...

No comments:

Post a Comment