Tuesday 7 January 2014

Day 120: Round 3. The halfway mark.

Thankfully I awoke feeling well rested after dropping Remie at the house of our good friend, former carer and guardian angel Jenna, Sandy and I did the run to chemo cottage in Errol. The sky was grey and intermittently drippy, but we still went topless. My appointment with Dr. Fran was enlightening and entertaining as usual. She first gave me the preparation run down on my next 3 cycles, which will see me going from a cocktail of 3 drugs to just one (Docetaxel)- the one that s mixed in medical detergent. This one seems to hit hard, so there's some pre-session anti-nausea required. Oh joy. She wrote me a referral to an ophthalmologist to possibly get some steroidal eye drops. Apparently my tear ducts are not functioning properly so need some serious help to get moving again, thus preventing the eye fluid from leaking out willy-nilly. I asked her about my radiation schedule over the Easter long weekend as my my is coming out and it would be nice to get away. Dr. Fran said that not only do cancer cells not grow on weekends, they are also Christian so observe the holiday weekend. She asked how I was doing otherwise and I said I was tired, likely due to me trying to do too much. I said that I just need to chill. In her typical deadpan manner, she asked if I wanted her to writeme a prescription for that. Sandy and I had a good chuckle. Then it was across to the cottage where the lovely Lorraine checked me in. Candy sorted out my cold cap and nurse Angela brilliantly bad relatively painlessly did the cannula business. After a bit f reading, Sandy and I watched the first episode of "House of Cards" what a great way to take my mind of what was happening! Gail popped in to say hello, we started another episode and it was time to go a bit before 2p. We stopped for a bite on the way home at a local shopping centre. I managed to order some prescription sunnies and new glasses as I suspect contacts may be a struggle. We got home and I had a quick rest on the couch. We had a cup f tea with Jenna when she dropped Remie off. I loved having Jenna and Sandt interact as I love the way they both think and it was great to see them enjoying each other. And Remie was breathtaking had some amazing attention and no one to compete with at home. Sandy made a simple dinner of beans, carrots, brown rice and chicken. Perfect. We watched another episode of House of Cards" and it's bedtime. I feel ok so far. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment