Wednesday 7 May 2014

Day 250: The end - at least of this phase

I saw Dr. Susan before treatment, and she was happy with the state of my skin.  She revisited my use of Flamazine daily and wrote me another script for a refill in case I need it. She said I should anticipate the redness increasing with the skin peeling and perhaps even cracking.  It should all be better in 10 days.  The radiologists told me that my skin is quite affected as they are treating only the skin (with a mastectomy there is no breast tissue left), whereas the whole breast skin and tissue are treated in lumpectomy cases, so the skin is not as damaged.

The girls behind the desk at Genesis Cancer Care (aka the radiation oncology rooms) were great today when they noted it was my last day and we said goodbye.  They asked if I was planning a big trip, then asked me to send a postcard from my high school 30th reunion.  Cute.

I left hospital singing the Happy Song but knowing I'll be back next Friday to meet with Dr. Fran about Tamoxifen, the estrogen-blocking drug that will comprise the next phase of treatment.  I'm just going to enjoy the next 10 days of not having to do the commute.  Remie's planning to take the final link in our countdown chain to school tomorrow as she's so excited.

I went home and immediately booked our tickets to the US, where we'll be around the East Coast from 11 June to 28 July, then to SF for a few days before coming home.  There's nothing like a huge health scare to make you look forward to connecting with old friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment