Thursday 8 May 2014

Day 251: Starting recovery

Remie came in at 6.30a singing "good morning to you" to the tune of "happy birthday". She then asked me how happy I was that I didn't have to go to hospital. Gorgeous. This is her thoughtful side. She then sat in my bed grumping for a half hour because I didn't want to go get get some milk (remember that she can do this herself.). She is indeed a conundrum.

I had a social and unscheduled day. After Steph popped the boys' booster seats in Errol, I took my darling neighbour R to preschool accompanied by P and Remie, the ride was a hoot as they all pretended we were in an airplane. Hilarious.

I had a great catch up with Aileen over coffee and got in cuddles with baby Leila. If I had been as chill as Aileen is with a newborn I suspect that phase of my life may have been easier.

Steph and I had a wonderful lunch and actually talked in detail rather than on the footpath as we pass the kids back and forth. It was so nice to have her company and not have to eat lunch in the car on the way to and from the hospital.

The skies opened up on and off while the kids had swim lessons outside. They loved it. We went out for burgers afterwards to celebrate the end of treatment. Remie told us that she'd given the final link of our countdown chain to Miss A, who put it up on the classroom wall.

It feels strange to have no pressing medical agenda. I'm looking forward to getting back to yoga and just generally increasing my fitness. I look around the house and see piles of things I've put on hold for the past 5 months. I suspect I will move into "the cleaning phase" shortly.

I find myself thinking about the treatment experience and the incredible well of strength and community of support it helped me find. I'm sure this reflection will continue. Finally, I try to find at least one thing to appreciate and be thankful for everyday and will continue this habit. I imagine that my recovery will happen through and thanks to all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment