Sunday 11 May 2014

Day 254: Mothers Day clear out

For Mothers Day I had asked for time to clean my room, and I got it. I spent a few hours clearing out all the "cancer treatment stuff", from meds and scarves to books and piles of things that had just accumulated. I dusted my dresser,  cleaned my cupboard and threw away things I don't need. I am moving on.

This happened, of course, after the family celebrations. We were all piled on top of the bed at 6.45a. Nick and I had coffee and the kids had Mothers Day gifts. Most of what they presented was hand-made, which was lovely. I also received a tea-brewing pot for all my green tea, and they threw in some choc chip chai for good measure.

My other gifts were a wonderful brekkie made by Nick and topped off with some blueberry coffee cake made by Nick and Remie (Alex helped me clean), plus a very enjoyable family bike ride up North Head (I'd also asked to share some experience). The morning was sunny and beautiful.

We had Jenny, Owen and the kids around for a very casual lunch. I knew it had been awhile since we entertained, but I was horrified when Owen had that he'd never seen the countdown chain. We also had a half hour at Little Manly at sunset for a beer/kids snack and play as a reward to cleaning (the kids did their rooms as well).

The only thing that marred my beautiful day was watching a news segment on the Sydner Mothers Day Classic, a fundraiser for breast cancer research. The woman interviewed had lost her mother to breast cancer. When she'd been diagnosed, it was fairly late and two different types of cancer were discovered; she died before she was 50. I, too, had two different types of cancer, and it wasn't discovered early. So my mind is spinning now, and I'm trying to remember that there's no use in worrying about that which I cannot change.

No comments:

Post a Comment