Friday 16 May 2014

Day 259: Oncologist folllow up with Dr. Fran

I had an appointment today with Dr. Fran to discuss my next treatment steps. After 30 minutes in the waiting room, Dr.Ben (he was the one who had contacted me to come in for the double jab in the bottom when Remie had the chickenpox) called us (Nick was with me) in. He asked how I was and went through my main symptoms to see how my recovery was going. All good.

We then discussed Tamoxifen, the estrogen-blocking drug that I'll take for 5 years. Dr. Fran came in and we discussed my genetic testing explorations. I mentioned that I'm considering an oopherectomy and a possible prophylactic mastectomy  (elective mastectomy) of my right breast. She said that a trial on different estrogen-blocking drugs is due to finish on June 1st, which will shed some light on whether Tamoxifen will be best for me.

I left with a script for the Tamoxifen, which I'll start tomorrow. My next appoitment with her is in August. I also have a referral for a mammogram and ultrasound, to be done in early September. I need to book in to see Dr. Andrew, my surgeon, after the mammogram.  In the meantime I just get on with recovery.

I understand now why I was told that this is where people fall apart. I'm so used to having things to do that it feels weird to just get on with life. I did swim a kilometre this morning (very pleased with that), which is part of my version of getting on with it. I do find myself worrying that cancer might be how I go and it might happen too soon, but then I try to make sure I'm doing what I want with who I want. Now that I'm facing my mortality, I understand that life is too short not to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment