Tuesday 3 June 2014

Day 278: Another travel necessity

When I spent my few years in the mid-1990s on a plane from the west coast of the US to Europe and back for work, travel was relatively simple. I really only needed to remember 4 key items: passport, credit card, prescription eyewear and prescription drugs, plus a mobile phone or 2, as US phones didn't work outside the US.

In the past 8 months, I have added multiple items to 3 of the above categories: passport (I now have 2), prescription eyewear (I now have daily disposable contacts and prescription sunnies) and prescription drugs (I've added Tamoxifen and Stillnox). Plus I've added yet a new category: compression garments (!).

I had a very enjoyable drive in Errol today to the Mater, where I saw Dr. Theresa to get fitted for a compression sleeve. We walked through my diagnosis and treatment, and she revisited my need to take care to try to avoid lymphoedema given that I had 25 lymph nodes removed. She fitted me with a lovely compression arm sleeve AND hand sleeve in the lovely "flesh tone", so I will be looking fabulous on my flights. She suggested I find a physio clinic in Boston to be prepared in the event that I do experience swelling in my arm. It's unlikely, but she suggested it wouldn't hurt to know what to do.

After that I went to yoga, which I found challenging today. Apparently I have some swelling in my rib cartilage under my left arm from the radiotherapy, or so Dr. Theresa said. It's not really painful but, combined with my recent focus on exercise and subsequent soreness, it did put a damper on my backbends (which haven't actually happened in years).

Kirstin and I had lunch and both agreed that, despite all the fear of the diagnosis and unpleasantness of treatment, we are actually happier now than before. We don't worry about the little things knowing that life is short. I'm trying to make a habit out of enjoying every day, or at least some part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment